jueves, 14 de octubre de 2010

News

Hey, buddies,

How are you doing, wherever you are?
Don't worry. This is not an email to tell you I am having twins or getting divorced. The news I have to tell you come from downstairs, and maybe you already know them.

I can't tell you why, but every October 12th I am used to write an email to Dasey Mitchell (I mean Dasey Exmitchell-Carmona). It's funny, because every
October 12th morning, when the combat aircrafts of the Spanish Royal Army start to fly over my bed in Madrid, celebrating the Motherland Day, the Race Day, the Hispanity Day, Columbus Day, the Virgin of Pilar Day, paradoxically or not, I remember it is also Dasey Exmitchell-Carmona Birth Day, wake up and write her a lovely email.

Yes, you know that. I did not respect her once, and maybe this is the way my dirty soul tries to expurgate that blame. In fact, last year she didn’t write me back, but I persevered (not like that sad night, when I fell asleep on her shoulder at the first round of the slumber party, a right shoulder which, later I learnt, it was already ready for Carmona), and she wrote me back.

And the news are pretty clear: it seems the Law Schoolgirls are winning. First of all, Dasey is happily married, and had a baby, Valentina, who is very cute indeed. According to her message, she works in the same firm as her husband, who is a Mexican-American lawyer called, besides Carmona, Adan, born in El Paso, The Step. And I wonder if parents in El Paso also tell their kids, like mine, “Vas como un Adán” (‘You go like an Adan’, as if there were many in the Genesis Book) when one does not dress properly to go outside and be seen by other people.

Anyway, Adan Carmona loves to travel, and is just tons of fun to be around, as I was able to establish from the picture Dasey sent me (look attachment). In fact, I would dare to say he looks like a significant fighter against world “aburrismo”.

From the other girls, I also learnt they are triumphing around. E. is in love and is now back in San Diego. Violette is engaged and living in Los Angeles. Both have great jobs. Colleen is also engaged and is currently in Cambodia doing human rights work, something crucial and very appreciated by firms when checking CVs and selecting staff afterwards.

On the other hand, Dasey also let me know that there was someone who did not win downstairs. George B. committed suicide this spring. His sister found Dasey’s number in his wallet and called her. It was horrible.

One of the few things I remember from George is he taught me the word “buddy”. Actually, I couldn’t understand most of the things he said when we passed each other in the stairs. And it was a pity, because he could have shown us an important part of the US, that world of born losers he belonged to and we were not trained to talk with.

This email was just to remind you to make a toast for George B. next time you are drinking with good friends. Not alone, ¿eh?

Que descanse en paz, el pobre George.

Un abrazo,


Favila